Monday, February 15, 2010

Shifting Sound

At times I couldn't believe you were real, it was like you crawled out of the t.v. and set yourself free, I never wanted to turn you off.
If I sing you a song long enough,
will you notice my callouses and fall in love with my cow lick?
Will you move closer to hear my every breath tick in and out.
I rewind my mind:
park to parking
apartment to the carpet,
where I could see all the years you'd lived and everything you did.
And maybe I'm not thinking this all the way through but
it's nonsense how your eyes stay awake like parking lot lights like the do.
I'm listening to your favorite singer, imagining what you looked like the first time you heard it, lips pursed and heart pulsing.
All the times after that when you'd memorized the words and the beat,
folding your feet
holding your hands,
and the last time.
It's a past-time of mine.
We weren't passing time, we were throwing it back and forth, and when I had to let it go, I drove around in circles trying to steady my spinning head.

No comments:

Post a Comment